The College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Fund provides unrestricted support to the College’s greatest needs. With nearly two dozen departments and three dozen interdisciplinary programs in the sciences, mathematics, humanities, and social sciences, the College strives to provide the best academic experience to over one-third of the entire Syracuse University population.
The Dean’s Fund provides primary support to the following areas:
Student Support: Our greatest priority is to provide our students with the resources they need to achieve their full potential. The College provides a number of programs that provide academic enrichment for our students, including:
- McNair Scholars Program – Preparing high achieving undergraduate students for graduate/doctoral studies with hands-on research, academic services and financial support
- The Center for Innovative Learning (iLearn) – Providing innovative educational programs and undergraduate research activities in the College and its departments
- SU Abroad Opportunities – Preparing students for the world with invaluable internships, Signature Seminars, language study at all levels, homestays, and community engagement projects
Career and Advising Initiatives: A strong liberal arts education prepares our students for a wide variety of different career paths, as evidenced by our alumni who have achieved great success in academics, business, law, government and the arts. The Dean of the College has initiated new programs to provide our students the opportunity to explore the opportunities that await them after graduation by introducing them to these careers while still on campus. These new initiatives include:
- Student Immersion Trips - Engaging students in their own career exploration process to gain exposure to a variety of different geographical regions, and build awareness of their chosen field. Students travel to New York City to explore business and finance careers, Atlanta to visit Fortune 500 companies, and Washington D.C. to explore careers in public administration
- Career Conversations – Bringing successful alumni to campus to discuss their career path beginning as an Arts and Sciences student, giving students the opportunity to ask engaging questions and network with a strong SU advocate
- Mentoring – Connecting SU students with a successful alumni in their home region over Summer, Winter and Spring break to have a more direct conversation about career paths and the job market. Students get valuable one on one advice as well as an advocate to their success.
Faculty and Student Research: Syracuse University is a nationally ranked university -- one of the top academic research institutions in the country. One of the defining characteristics of this distinction is the level of research activity from students and faculty on campus. Faculty and student researchers pioneer ideas that have impact around the world. Their interdisciplinary approach helps shape the way we understand a wide range of academic disciplines–from brain science to social science, engineering to art—and contribute to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements. The College of Arts and Sciences is leading the charge on research at SU, and it requires a significant investment of resources. In order to support and constantly improve our profile in research, the College of Arts and Sciences utilizes the Dean’s Fund by supporting the following:
- Undergraduate Research - Providing lab-based, credit-bearing educational opportunities to undergraduate students, supervised by a faculty member
- Graduate Research – Research is the core of any graduate student’s experience in the College of Arts and Sciences. Research allows students to dive deep into their area of study, collaborate with peers, speak at conferences, and publish their work
- Faculty Research – When you hear about ground breaking research, it’s usually conducted on a college campus. Faculty Research is the hallmark of excellence for Universities worldwide. Providing Faculty with the tools they need to complete their research is a critical component to the overall excellence of the College and the University at-large
Your support for the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Fund provides all of this and more. To learn more about the Deans Fund, please contact the Office of Advancement at 315-443-1995 or firstname.lastname@example.org